This 2014-2021 Accessibility Plan (“Plan”) outlines the policies and actions that Gymboree Play & Music will put in place to improve opportunities for persons with disabilities in its store locations in Ontario, Canada. This Plan outlines how Gymboree Play & Music intends to meet the requirements of the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation made under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (the “AODA”).
Gymboree Play & Music is dedicated to providing goods, services and employment in an accessible manner and is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the reasonable accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the AODA.
This Plan is a fluid document that will be revised at least once every five years to reflect changes in Gymboree Play & Music’s accessibility strategies. Gymboree Play & Music welcomes feedback regarding this Plan, in whichever format is most convenient to the person giving feedback. If the Plan states that a document or information is available upon request, such requests should be made by phoning Gymboree Play & Music’s Customer Service number at 1 (877) 449-6932 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Individualized Emergency Preparedness Plan
Gymboree Play & Music will develop individualized emergency preparedness plans as required and as soon as practicable, for employees who Gymboree Play & Music is aware require assistance in emergency situations.
Gymboree Play & Music will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to persons with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Gymboree Play & Music will ensure that employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessibility laws by January 1, 2015. Gymboree Play & Music will maintain records to confirm that each employee, volunteer and staff member has read and completed the training materials.
The training will cover the objectives of the AODA and how to interact, communicate and support persons with disabilities in light of their disability. After January 1, 2015, the training will be conducted as needed, in order to inform individuals of changes to Gymboree Play & Music’s procedures and policies in delivering goods or services to persons with disabilities. If newly hired, the individual will receive training as soon as practicable. The training delivered will instruct employees, volunteers and other staff members on the following:
- Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices when visiting Gymboree Play & Music.
- Persons accompanied by a guide dog or service animal are permitted to enter our premises with the animal, except in areas in which the animal is excluded by law.
- When a person with a disability is accompanied by a support person, both the person with the disability and the support person are permitted to enter together and have equal access to Gymboree Play & Music’s premises.
- Gymboree Play & Music will provide notice to the public of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services offered by Gymboree Play & Music and used by persons with disabilities. This notice will include the reason for the disruption, the anticipated length of the disruption and a description of any alternative facilities and/or services that are available.
The Plan is available at www.gymboree.com
Point-of-Sale Devices and Service Counters
Gymboree Play & Music will consider the accessibility of electronic terminals when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks including point-of-sale devices. Gymboree Play & Music will consider the various needs of persons with disabilities prior to making any decisions regarding the purchase, implementation and use of self-service kiosks.
By January 1, 2017, Gymboree Play & Music will ensure that when constructing new service counters (or replacing existing service counters), there will be at least one service counter that reasonably accommodates a mobility aid. This service counter will be clearly identified and will:
- Be at a height such that it is usable seated in a mobility aid;
- Have sufficient knee clearance for a person seated in a mobility aid; and
- Have sufficient floor space in front of the counter to accommodate a mobility aid.
If applicable, by January 1, 2017, when constructing new fixed queuing guides, Gymboree Play & Music will ensure that the fixed queuing guides have sufficient width and floor area to allow for the passage of mobility assistive devices and are cane detectable. Gymboree Play & Music will have procedures for preventative and emergency maintenance of accessible elements and for dealing with temporary disruptions when accessible elements are not in working order.
Accessible Websites and Web Content
- Gymboree Play & Music is committed to meeting the communication needs of persons with disabilities. By January 1, 2016, Gymboree Play & Music will, upon request, consult with persons with a disability in order to provide and arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports.
- Gymboree Play & Music will take steps to ensure that all new websites and website content conform with the Worldwide Web Consortium’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) at Level A.
- By January 1, 2021, Gymboree’s internet websites and web content will conform with WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
Feedback, Accessible Formats and Communication Supports
- Gymboree Play & Music will accept feedback in person at retail locations, by phoning our Customer Service number at 1-877-449-6932, by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at Gymboree Customer Service, 2299 Kids Way, Dixon, CA 95620.
- Gymboree Play & Music will ensure that, by January 1, 2015, it has the processes in place for receiving and responding to feedback that are accessible to persons with disabilities.
- By January 1, 2016, and upon request, Gymboree Play & Music will provide or arrange for accessible formats and communication supports that suit for persons with a disability, at no extra cost and in a timely manner. Requesting persons we be consulted as to the suitability of an accessible format or communication support.
- By January 1, 2016, Gymboree Play & Music will notify the public about the availability of accessible formats and communication supports.
Gymboree Play & Music is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. By January 1, 2016, accessibility will be integrated into Gymboree Play & Music’s employment-related practices throughout the employment life cycle, as set out in more detail in this section. Gymboree Play & Music will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, they will provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes, and after individuals are hired.
By January 1, 2016:
- Existing recruitment, assessment and selection processes, material and procedures will be reviewed and modified by Human Resource staff as is necessary.
- The public and any job applicants will be notified that Gymboree Play & Music will provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities upon request. The fact that reasonable accommodation is available will be specified in recruitment-related materials.
- In the event an applicant requests some form of accommodation, Gymboree Play & Music will consult with the applicant and ensure that reasonable accommodations are made that take into consideration the applicant’s disability needs.
- When Gymboree Play & Music is making an offer of employment, it will notify the successful candidate of the policies in place to provide reasonable accommodation to employees.
Gymboree Play & Music will develop and update individualized emergency preparedness plans as soon as practicable, for employees who Gymboree Play & Music is aware require assistance in emergency situations.
By January 1, 2016:
- Existing orientation and on-boarding procedures will be reviewed and modified to reflect Gymboree Play & Music’s accessibility policies. This ensures that when employees begin employment, they are aware of the accommodation policies in place for persons with disabilities.
- A procedure will be established to inform colleagues of any changes made to accommodation policies in place at Gymboree Play & Music.
Return to Work from Disability-Related Leaves
By January 1, 2016:
- Gymboree Play & Music will modify and review existing return to work procedures for persons that have been absent from work because of a disability and are now in need of accommodation upon returning to the workplace. When a person with a disability returns to work, Gymboree Play & Music will work with that person to create an individual plan that provides reasonable accommodation.
- Training will be put in place for managers and their colleagues who oversee the return to work process for persons who require accommodation.
Performance Management, Career Development and Redeployment
By January 1, 2016:
- Gymboree Play & Music will modify and review career development, performance management and redeployment processes, as applicable, to take into consideration individual accommodation plans and the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities.
Training will be put in place for managers and their colleagues who oversee career development, performance management and redeployment procedures.
For more information on this Plan, please contact: Gymboree Play & Music’s Customer Service department:
For More Information
Mail: 2299 Kids Way, Dixon, CA 95620